Dr. Daniel Walczyk, PhD, PE
Identify and define scientific and
technological challenges in manufacturing and processing of composite
materials, develop strategies to overcome these challenges, and provide
a forum for interaction between researchers and practitioners.
There are five main functions of the Division:
- Identify contemporary challenges in the manufacturing and processing of composites,
- Design strategies with industry and academia to answer these challenges,
- Network various manufacturing and processing areas with/into the ASC,
- Solicit papers/participation in the
Annual Conference, to include the sponsoring and staffing of
manufacturing and processing-related sessions, and
- Search for/create/offer educational opportunity.
a. Division Chairperson
b. Standing Committees, including Committee Chairpersons
1. Manufacturing techniques for continuous and discontinuous fiber reinforced composites
2. Manufacturing techniques for particulate composites
3. Processing methods for smart composites containing self-healing or health monitoring capabilities
4. Processing methods for composites containing special properties
5. Green and environmentally friendly manufacturing techniques
The five applications committees
have responsibility to solicit high quality papers for submission as
candidates for the yearly conference and to encourage participation by
applications-oriented individuals and organizations in the yearly
conference. These committees should also provide recommendations
regarding particular research needs of the different applications
No fiscal resources exist within the
Division, nor is any member of the Division empowered to obligate the
Division, its officers or the ASC to a fiscal liability.
5. Election of Officers
The chairperson shall be elected by the Division of the ASC annual conference every two years.
6. Special Opportunities and Awards
The Division may see fit to recommend
the development of short courses, awards, or publications, in addition
to other special activities. Such opportunities will form the basis for
a formal action on the part of the Executive Body of the ASC for
resolution at the annual meeting of the ASC.
These terms of reference may be
altered by majority vote of the Division membership present at the
annual meeting, subject to approval by the Executive Board.